Three days after the police arrest of Stanis Bujakera, correspondent for Jeune Afrique and the Actualitécd site in the Democratic Republic of Congo, protests and calls for the journalist’s release increased on Monday in Kinshasa.
Stanis Bujakera is accused of “spreading false rumors and disseminating false information for an article published by Jeune Afrique implicating military intelligence in the assassination of former minister Chérubin Okende”, said the Congolese news site Actualité.cd, of which he is deputy publication director.
The article published at the end of August, which was not signed by Stanis Bujakera, was based on a confidential note presented as coming from the civil intelligence services (ANR), a note which the Congolese authorities then assured was was a false document.
Arrested Friday evening at NDjili airport in Kinshasa, while he was preparing to leave for Lubumbashi (south-east), Stanis Bujakera, also correspondent for the Reuters agency, was held for three days in the premises of the police before being presented to the prosecution late Monday afternoon.
The journalist was not released, he is “under provisional arrest warrant” and remains “ available to the prosecution »his lawyer, Me Hervé Diakiese, told the press after the journalist’s hearing. ” I stay here “had previously told Stanis Bujakera to his colleagues present on site.
Since the start of the weekend, several embassies (Belgium, France, United States, Switzerland, EU, Spain, etc.) have been concerned about this arrest of a journalist, just over three months before the general elections scheduled for the 20th. December.