Two-year-old Maradona Mundyoli who groaned under the weight of a 10 kilogram bulging tummy for one year and some months has died.

Maradona whose story went viral on social media with the help of activist Hon Happy Munsanje who was instrumental in helping Maradona taken to the hospital died during an operation at the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) around 09:00 hours because he had lost a lot of blood.

Maradona’s grandfather, Most Hachaamba, OF Zimba district, Southern Province, said his grandson had been taken to the theatre for an operation at UTH on July 24 so that surgeons could remove the growth that had been making his tammy bulge like a balloon but the boy could not make it.

It was a long, agonising battle that saw little Maradona admitted to UTH twice as doctors frantically looked for the cause of the distension of his belly.

Mr Hachaamba said during the operation the surgeons removed something that looked like a chuck of flesh and fat and was coiled weighing 10.1kg.

“The doctor told as that he had lost a lot of blood during the operation, and that they tried to give him blood but it did not help,” Mr Hachaamba said.

Maradona was admitted to the UTH in December 2018. He was partially discharged on April 19 this year, and was scheduled for review on April 15, which the family ignored.

The family said that the boy would not be taken back to the hospital because he had been hospitalised for four months during which medical personnel had failed to establish what the problem was.

After the traditional Doctor informed the family that Maradona was bewitched with a desert frog which was making his tummy bulge they decided to place the boy under traditional treatment for two weeks starting from April 15, the day he was scheduled to be taken back to UTH however, the boy’s tummy had continued to grow despite being on traditional medication for a month and some weeks.

Maradona’s grandfather says he had even stopped walking because of the size of the belly, which was growing bigger each day making him spending most of the time sitting as he could not manage to get up and play properly with his friend’s, later he could not even manage to sit but spent all day and night lying on either side of his body.

The traditional Doctor who said Maradona was bewitched and the Doctors at UTH who said Maradona was not bewitched, both failed to find a solution to the child.

Rest In Peace Maradona!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here