President Edgar Lungu has today announced enhanced priority plans for Zambia to fight the Coronavirus 2019 – COVID 19, which has seen cases grow from the initially confirmed 3 cases to now 12 cases.
The Zambian leader stated that 11 out of the 12 confirmed cases involved people that travelled outside Zambia. The seven point plan includes:
1. All Zambian missions abroad, the immigration department, Airport, land and water borders to review the issuance of visas for people traveling to Zambia from countries with confirmed COVID 19 cases.
2. All travelers entering Zambia should be screened and those with symptoms to be quarantined in appropriate medical facilities and those without symptoms to be quarantined at their own cost for at least 14 days.
3. All non essential foreign travel particularly to countries with confirmed COVID 19 cases has been suspended by government.
4. Public gathering such as conferences, weddings, funerals, festivals etc have been restricted to at least 50 people subject to those people complying with health authorities guidelines .
5. All restaurants to operate as take away and on delivery basis only. This is aimed at social distances.
6. All bars, night clubs, cinemas, gyms, Casinos and similar entertainment facilities must close.
7. Only Kenneth Kaunda International Airport will remain open to ensure efficient and effective screening of travelers and follow up procedures as above. All other international airports to be shut down.
The head of state stated that the measures announced shall be effected from midnight on Thursday 26 March, 2020 and be observed for the initial period of 14 days.