100REASONS TO VOTE FOR #CHAGWA AGAIN
By Salma Cheswa Kapwepwe
PF GOVT HAS MASSIVELY CONSTRUCTED ROADS LIKE IT’S GOING OUT OF FASHION, ONLY KK GOVT COMES CLOSE..
“But are we going to eat roads?,” They ask…Yes you can eat roads and I will show you how…
At the time the PF govt assumed power, most of the roads were in a deplorable state and certain parts of the country were inaccessible.. Dandy described this in a campaign song that ushered PF into power “umusebo twikalomo ulunda twalinaka, twalileka no kulanda, chilongamo kwimba na copper, kamana koloba napale, nimbokoshi kushikamo no muntu.. “
To fulfill its promise, the PF govt embarked and has sustained the following ambitious road projects
- Link Zambia 8000, aimed at constructing 8000Km of roads at $8.5billion to link districts to Provincial capitals and provincial capitals to Lusaka city.
- National Feeder Road programme with two components:
(a). Improved rural connectivity road project (IRCP) to upgrade, rehabilitate, and maintain 4300km priority feeder roads in selected districts to increase economic activities in rural areas
(b)Output and performance~based road based contract (OPRC) for design, rehabilitation, routine and periodic maintenance of 3017km road
- Lusaka 400 (L400)
- Copperbelt 800 (C800)
- National road tolling programe
- Lusaka Decongention Project (LDP)
Some of the #major road projects done or under construction are
2.Chama- Chinsali linking Eastern and Muchinga Provinces is attracting people to invest and settle in areas like Chama, a district that was shunned by many due its inaccessibility
- Mansa~ Luwingu has directly linked and reduced the distance between Luapula and Northern province
- Kawambwa~Mushota road
- Chinsali~Isoka road 103km
- Isoka ~ Nakonde 107km
- Turnpike~ Chikankata 38.5Km
- Chikankata~ Mazabuka Road 33.5Km
- Kitwe Chingola 45.5Km dual Carriageway
- Lundazi~Chipata 90km
- Kitwe~Ndola dual Carriageway way
- Petauke~Chilongozi road will spur economic activities in the newly created Lusangazi district and is shortest route from Lusaka to Mfuwe
14.Mansansa~Fiwila in Mkushi 27km
15.Mbala~Kasesha~Tanzania Border road 25km
Like earlier stated govt, in the 7NDP, government has prioritized upgrading transport infrastructure across the country to facilitate economic activities that support GDP growth and social~economic opportunities.
Roads are among the 5 foundation of modern economies, a catalyst for sustainable growth.
Improved connectivity via a robust transport network means that the country’s entrepreneurs have easy access to both internal and international markets which facilitates trade.
can you eat roads? read the next article.
2nd of 100 reasons why we should vote for the incumbent.
what’s your say?