The Constitutional Court has issued a stern warning to all the lawyers handling the presidential eligibility case that it will no longer entertain adjournments in the matter.
This is in a case in which four PF aligned oppostion political parties are seeking the court’s interpretation on whether or not President Edger Lungu is is eligible to contest the 2021 general elections.
When the matter came up,Tuesday, Lusaka lawyer Makebi Zulu who has been retained to represent the Patriotic Front applied for an adjournment saying he was only engaged on January 18 and received two voluminous documents yesterday which he was unable to peruse.
Zulu, who is also Malambo PF member of parliament, said he wanted to get instructions from his client on how to proceed as it would be unethical to proceed without his client’s instructions.
All the parties did not object to the application for an adjournment.
ConCourt judge Hilda Chibomba gave a last warning to all the parties saying this was the last adjournment the court was granting.
Justice Chibomba said the court would no longer entertain further adjournements as the matter has been adjourned on several occassions on account of parties not being ready when the court had been ready to hear the case.
The court reluctanly granted the application.
The matter comes up on January 30, 2018 for hearing.
The Law Association of Zambia and the UPND are the first and second interested parties respectively while Heritage Party leader Brigadier General Godfrey Miyanda is the third interested party.
Those oppossing the petition are of the view that Lungu is now serving his second and last term in office making him ineligible to stand again.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home4/wafihc0adim2/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 1020